Cloud computing in logistics
Cloud computing is becoming increasingly popular across all industries. The opportunities it creates are also extremely useful in transport. We explain how exactly it is used and how it impacts the logistics industry!
Cloud computing in logistics – how does it work?
Cloud computing uses the computing cloud, i.e. the modern technology for storing, processing and managing data on virtual servers. Every day, the TSL industry handles large data sets, which may render local IT infrastructures insufficient. Expanding and maintaining them typically takes a lot of time and money. An easier, more comfortable and profitable solution is to use the support of a cloud services provider.
By transitioning to cloud computing you can quickly develop your IT support area in line with what your company actually needs. This allows for meeting market expectations and gaining a competitive advantage without spending too much.
How is cloud technology used in logistics?
Cloud computing allows you to create a good environment for using the most important systems and applications that are essential for TSL operations. In the cloud, you can store data, but also run software needed to carry out your day-to-day tasks, which is extremely useful in boosting company growth.
In transport, cloud computing allows for using solutions such as:
- systems for managing warehouses, resources, accounting etc. (including ERP, CRM, WMS);
- software for tracking active loads (including the location of mapped trucks);
- integration with various technology platforms, including TMS systems and cockpit devices;
- applications for internal and external communications;
- digital document flows (improving formalities, reducing paper usage);
- databases (of clients, business partners, employees, resources);
- advanced analytical tools (which support decision making by detecting irregularities and growth opportunities);
- modern algorithms and IT, e.g. for planning routes, monitoring loading and unloading.
Migrating to the cloud means taking a technology leap to up your game in terms of the services you can offer and the comfort and safety of working.
Why is cloud computing beneficial for logistics?
Companies that use cloud technologies can grow faster and use their potential better. With cloud computing it is also easier for them to adapt to difficult situations on the market, as the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic, the war in Ukraine, as well as inflation and the ongoing energy crisis come with many challenges.
Investing in the cloud is also very profitable for transport, because it guarantees:
- easy access to data and the necessary tools (an Internet connection is enough),
- flexible usage of computing capacity (large databases, advanced systems and applications, etc.),
- opportunity to use state-of-the-art technologies (Big Data analysis, AI, etc.),
- less spending on investments and maintenance (you only pay for the resources you actually utilise),
- the opportunity to implement sustainability (more eco-friendly company management, which includes reduced paper usage or carbon emissions),
- professional technical support (24/7 specialist support),
- security (best data protection).
In the TSL industry, the growing fuel and energy prices as well as higher tolls, taxes and other operating costs are only one of the many reasons why it is worth transitioning to the cloud. That technology is the future of business and industry, so there is no point in lagging behind. If you do not want to be overtaken by your competition, the only thing you need to do is decide to make that change.